Shannon Lamden (a.k.a. Aunty Cookie) first came to our attention because of her blog. We enjoyed seeing snippets of her home so much, we just had to ask her to participate in a House Call all the way from Melbourne, Australia! Given how lovely her own textile creations are, we weren't the least bit surprised that her place is filled with lots of wonderful colors and patterns.
• How would you describe your decorating style? A messy mix of new and old. Nothing really matches, as cliched as it sounds it still very much a work in progress. As we are still renovating we still have a lot to do, our focus is on getting that finished and then the fun part of dressing it nicely can start! And I'm also trying to get rid of anything my partner had before I came along ... there's only one couch to go!
• Favorite childhood memento that's in your home? My grandmother's nightlight of "The Last Supper."
• Favorite travel keepsake? A way too big Jean-Michel Basquiat exhibition print lugged back from Paris.
• Favorite spot in your home and why? My daughter's bed. No street noise, not too bright, and a handmade quilt in a room full of fun stuff.
• What's on your nightstand? Lip balm, lamp, crappy magazines, hand cream, 3 million hair pins.
• Best bargain in your home and where did you get it? Our 8-seater dining table. Picked up half price at one of those indian, hippy furniture shops.
• Biggest splurge? A comfortable couch. After years of trying to get used to a '50s divan, I love our couch.
• Favorite home/design magazines or websites? Inside Out, home beautiful, Decor8, Bloesem Kids, Milk
• What's at the top of your list of things to buy next for your home? We are desperately in need of a new floor rug, the one we have now is totally skanky and is moving up into the roof. I'd also love two big armchairs to replace one of the couches.
• Favorite local and online resources for furniture and accessories? Local: Arthur's Circus has great vintage finds. And the usual places like IKEA, markets and op shops (thrift stores). Online: Etsy for prints, Ebay for trawling, that's pretty much it!! I'm on the computer so much for work I like shopping in person.
Thanks for giving us a peek at your home, Shannon! (Pssst ... You can check out her Etsy shop right here.)
(Originally published on 04.25.08 on AT:LA by Anh-Minh)