Having a bit of fun before the holidays, H&H has a celebrity gift-giving guide this week and Penelope Green writes with the fervor of Jack Kerouac typing On The Road as she puts words to the eclectic style of Laura Gottwald's apartment. The pics are marvelous.
On other fronts, there are a number of stories that are far more sobering as they explore the shifting underpinnings of the house & home industry. Readers beware!
- Decorating With an Ear for Eames and R&B: Ms. Budoff's East 10th Street apartment goes from cluttered to fabulous eclectic with Ms. Gottwald's help.
- For the Person Who Has Everything ...And Doesn't Want to Hear From You: Gifts for Lil Kim, Prince Charles and George Clooney (among others).
- Shaking Off the Rust, New Suburbs Are Born: Forget Brooklyn, NY'ers are moving much farther away, to places like Bethlehem, PA AND they are still commuting to the Big Apple.
- For Renovators, a Rude Awakening: Building prices are going up, up, up with the increased demand caused by rebuilding New Orleans.
- Q. Is there a way to replace my bulky radiators with something slimmer - maybe even invisible? This has great radiator resources for both steam and hot water.
- Kate Spade has a new line of color-pow! stationery coming out.
- Hand painted porcelain tea set by Paola Navone at the Conran Shop.
- The Doomoo is a beanbag chair for babies!
- Ski Dubai is the first indoor ski resort in the Middle East.
- Untitled, the card shop on Prince Street in Soho is closing after 39 years.
- The Frank Rogin Gallery is moving to West 24th Street and introducing some hot new reproductions.