H&H busts out this week in an even more expansive fashion than last week, rocketing around the world, from Budapest to Lubbock to Avignon and Scotland. It's almost too much to keep up with. In all of this, design takes back seat to some very interesting personal stories. It's pure People magazine. Jump in! Top Stories
Rocking the House to Sell Condos: As the real estate market cools, developers in NYC are taking tricks out of the Miami bag. Seal and John Legend are performing soon... at a condo sales office near you.
A Messy Romance With Faded Grandeur: Fascinating. There's a movie in this one. American Belinda Rathbone married a Scottish fellow who is "the 26th laird of his family's 400-year-old ancestral estate," and tried to clean up the house. It didn't work.
Q. My sons, ages 7 and 9, share a room. Now one wants to erect a wall for privacy. What can we do?: Mitchell Owens makes peace.
Late-Winter Relief: Acres of Orchids: Anne Raver gives us a heads up for the NY Botanical Garden's fourth annual Orchid Show.
- From the Dakota to the Danube: Bill Hamilton digs up another fascinating New York-really-is-the-center-of-the-world story. These are the Hungarian homes of Sam Havadtoy, designer, painter and ex sort of husband to Yoko Ono. His story aside, the current rising influence of Hungarian art and design is featured here.
- A Corrugated House in a Sunburned Land: Peter Flueckiger is Swiss, but he lives in Lubbock, TX, in a house that cost less than a prefab. Inspired by Eames and Judd, there is a good design lesson in here.
- Personal Shopper checks out new lighting designs:And they are all dripping with glassy bling and crystal ice.
- Julian Merrow-Smith lives in France, paints a picture every day and sells it all on his website: shiftinglight.com
- Jenn-Air's fall 2006 line of "oiled bronze" appliances features a new, darker look.
- Jorge Pardo has painted the 40,000 sq/ft facade of a building in Florida - and people like it much more.
- Christian de Portzamparc's Grande-Duchesse Joséphine-Charlotte Concert Hall in Luxembourg
- Hiro Odaira has just opened Precious Pieces which sells 20 patterns of Kobo parchment.
- Wallpapers that are easy to remove by Waverly and Chesapeake Wallcoverings.