Top Stories Not much to say in summary this week—it's a hodge-podge of stories and none of them really rise to the top. Maxwell is featured in the Q + A though, be sure to check that out!
- New Yorker regular contributing cartoonist Roz Chast speaks out of her fear of Halloween while her husband takes it to the other extreme: For a Professional Phobic, the Scariest Night of All. Includes a Hating Halloween slideshow, featuring Mr. Franzen's extensive decorating efforts.
- For the second week in a row, a look at the auction scene and the recent success of single-collector auctions: Can You Judge an Antique by Its Owner?
- Anecdotal essay: A Good Year for Beets and Self-Reliance.
- A couple moves into a former nursing home in Hudson, NY: New Wave Musicians in an Old-Age Home. The story is accompanied by a slideshow of interior shots: What Lies Beneath.
- Q & A: Room to Improve. Though Maxwell assists in answering a question about sharing living space, he is not the person recommending the giant lamp!
- Personal Shopper features a roundup of various space heaters.