Name: Jeanine Hays and Bryan Mason, founders of Aphrochic
Location: Crown Heights, Brooklyn, New York
Size: 1200 square feet
Years lived in: 18 months
When Jeanine and Bryan moved to New York from Philadelphia 18 months ago, they were drawn to this apartment in Crown Heights because "it just felt like Brooklyn". It's not hard to imagine someone falling in love with this place at first sight — its high ceilings, bay window, gorgeous floors and intricate moldings are all breathtaking. Jeanine and Bryan have taken this beautiful space as an inspiration and a jumping-off point, and slowly but surely created a home that speaks to their culture; one that's both stylish and personal.
Jeanine and Bryan are the founders of AphroChic, a design firm and decor blog that reflects their love of interiors and global style. Their special focus is on homes that reflect their owner's unique cultural identity. In 2013, they wrote a book about achieving a unique look in your own home.
Jeanine and Bryan are also the creators of a collection of patterns, inspired by their African-American heritage and with a contemporary twist, which are available as fabrics or as wallpaper. Take a look and you'll spot the fabrics all throughout their home, the perfect accent to their distinctive mix of contemporary pieces and vintage finds from all over the globe.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Inspiration: For us it's about being able to create a space that tells our story, our heritage and that speaks to our culture, but so much of what we do, write and what we did with the book was about being able to bring that possibility to everyone else, too. So everything begins with our story but is designed to be universally adaptable to any story you care to have your room tell.
Biggest Indulgence: When we graduated from the air mattress to the bed, that was definitely a good day.
Best Advice: Home is like this healing place, where you get rejuvenated, and so you can go out and battle whatever battle you have to do. Home should be a place where you feel renewed and restored. That's definitely what we feel when we walk in the door.
For more from Jeanine and Bryan, check out the video above!
• Aubergine curtains - The Shade Store
• Fog Kendall Sofas - World Market
• Leona Cube Brass side tables - Pottery Barn
• Metal-Clad Accent Stool - Pottery Barn
• Leona Brass console table - Pottery Barn
• Morrison Credenza - Design Within Reach
• Pedestal dining table - Pottery Barn
• Dining chairs - Valitalia, handmade in Italy
• Gelsenkirchin Blue Club Chair - Wayfair
• Cristal De Lisbon Chandelier - Lamps.com
• Table Lamp - Lamps Plus
• Pillows - AphroChic Home Collection Haze, Silhouette, Ndop and Sisters pillows
• Leather pouf - from a family trip to Morocco
• Persian Area Rug - Medallion Rugs
• Wingback Bed - AllModern
• Drum stools - World Market
• Roman shades - The Shade Store
• Sonneman Orb Chandelier - Lamps Plus
• Paint - Colorhouse Nourish.06 in matte finish
• Baskets - AphroChic Rwanda Collection
• Bedding - DwellStudio Miyuki Duvet, Obi Sheet Set, Modern Smoke Euro Sham, AphroChic Home Collection Broom Pillow
• Melba Moore photograph - Conde Nast Archive Collection, Vogue 1971 by Jack Robinson
• Dressers - IKEA Malm
• Bentwood dining chairs - Crate & Barrel
• Tripod Side Table - Anthropologie
• Seagrass mat - World Market
• Secretary - family heirloom from Bryan's great-grandmother's home in Philadelphia
• Planters - Wayfair
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
Thanks, Jeanine + Bryan!
(Image credits: Nancy Mitchell)