Name: Paige Bennett-Primke & Thorben Primke
Location: Mission District; San Francisco, California
Size: 700 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years; Rented
Paige and Thorben's Mission District apartment shows what good teamwork can create. When they were tired of looking at the white-walls in the living room, they brainstormed and decided to change it up, covering it with reclaimed wood they found in a near-by neighborhood. Now, it seems as though the apartment came with it, and they can't imagine the space without it. And when they lacked the storage space they needed, they worked together to create solutions that were functional, yet beautiful and modern—just like their San Francisco apartment.
Aside from implementing DIY elements to their home, the couple strive to invest in furniture they can pass down to their family. "It was really important to us to invest in pieces we can have forever and eventually pass down to our children," they said in their survey.
Because of that goal, their home features modern pieces from shops like Modernica and Design Within Reach, but also includes personal pieces that remind them of the many places they've lived and enjoy visiting.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Mid-century modern with a bit of Southern hospitality as an echo to Paige’s Southern roots
Inspiration: Charles and Ray Eames, Danish designers like Arne Jacobsen and Poul Kjærholm. We also love Chip and Joanna Gains for their teamwork and relationship goals.
Favorite Element: The historical “bones” of our space, like the crown molding, wainscoting and built-in hutch
Biggest Challenge: Making the most of limited space
What Friends Say: They are always surprised by how light and airy it feels, and they love the wood wall.
Biggest Embarrassment: It was our really unsightly (and broken) wall heater—a complete eyesore. We covered it and used chalkboard paint to create a bit of art that also doubles as a language lesson. It’s now one of my favorite pieces.
Proudest DIY: Our wood wall. After finishing the wall, we can’t believe how cold the space felt beforehand. Now we can’t image our living room without it.
Biggest Indulgence: Our furniture. It was really important to us to invest in pieces we can have forever and eventually pass down to our children.
Best Advice: A few things: Invest in timeless pieces instead of following trends; make your apartment your own; and don’t wait until you buy a home to create a homey space.
Dream Sources: We love Design Within Reach and a lot of our furniture comes from there, so it continues to inspire us. A couple items we want to add are this chair (when we have more space) and this desk.
PAINT & COLORS
- Landlord's choice
- Bench: Nelson Platform Bench, Design Within Reach
- Coat Hanger: Eames Hang-It- All, Smart Furniture
- Artwork: Going Underground, Etsy
- Lighting: George Nelson Bubble Lamps, Modernica
- Wood wall: Made from shipping pallets found in San Francisco's Dog Patch neighborhood
- TV: Bang & Olufsen – BeoPlay V1
- TV mount: Built from Hollaender Speed-Rail fittings and aluminum pipes
- Speakers: Bang & Olufsen – Beolab 14
- Coffee Table: Noguchi Table, DWR
- Brown Lounge Chair: Eames MID Lounge Chair and Ottoman, DWR
- Red Chair: Eames Molded Plywood Lounge Chair (LCW), DWR
- Side Tables: Mag Table, DWR
- Floor Lamp: Pallucco - Gilda Floor Lamp, YLighting
- Planters: Case Study Ceramic Planter, Modernica
- Tray Table by the lounge chair: Nelson Select Tray Table, DWR
- Couch: Smart Furniture 1964 Sofa [discontinued]
- Flower Holder on coffee table: Vasen Vasili, Werkhaus
- Small table by the floor lamp: Eames LTR Low Side Table, DWR
- Flower vases on wall: Austin artist BDJ Craft Works
- Candle Holder: iittala Allas
- Rocking Chair: Eames Molded Plastic Rocker, Modernica
● Pot hanger: built from Hollaender Speed-Rail fittings and aluminum pipes
- Bed: Case Study Alpine Bed, Modernica
- Artwork above bed: Pottery Wheel Painting by Josh Dossett
- Lights: Small Wall Sconce - Green Summit Studio
- Side Tables: Alpine Case Study Bedside Tables, Modernica
- Clothing Hanger: built from Hollaender Speed-Rail fittings and aluminum pipes
- Art: Local San Francisco artist (unfortunately I can't find the name but I got it from the artist during an art event last year in the Mission)
- Rug: West Elm
- Desk: Eames Desk Unit, DWR
- Chair: Mirra Chair, Herman Miller
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!