Name: Lucia and Jose
Location: Valencia, Spain
Size: 1291 square feet
Years lived in: 1 year, renting
Natural light bounces off of the high ceilings, patterned tile floors and other dazzling architectural features of this Spanish apartment, which serves as both the home and workspace for a creative, world-traveling couple. Lucia and Jose run Anker Prod, where they create videos for advertising and weddings. And though they're lucky to live in beautiful Valencia, they are also fortunate to get to travel the world for their work, as well.
The crisp white walls offer up the ideal blank canvas for the couple to display their simple but potent decor. In fact, the whole home is a blend of creativity, storied objects and special pieces bought around the globe. It's a space that oozes a relaxed, cool ambiance, much like the young couple themselves.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: We could define our style as eclectic. We love vintage pieces. It's really important to us that the furniture, decor and objects have their own history.
Inspiration: Interior Design magazines, pinterest, we love Apartment Therapy...
Favorite Element: The cactus neon from the living room is my favorite element. I didn't know much about the neon process, but when I saw how they are made I fell completely in love. Jose's uncle made it for us, and it gives me such good memories. Jose's favorite element is the daguerreotype we took at the Flea Market in Los Angeles. We saw a guy doing it on the street and we couldn't resist. We love analog photography; there's something magical with it. It's an element I love and that brings me nice memories from our travel.
Biggest Challenge: Thinking about the layout. We work from home, so we spend A long time here editing the videos we make. We wanted a big house where we could live and work, but not so big that it would overwhelm us. Finally we made it! And we're really happy with the results.
What Friends Say: Everybody loves our house. We love to organize dinner parties! We love to receive people and hang out with them. They feel really comfy here.
Biggest Embarrassment: There are some things we don't like about the house...but it's rented so we can't change it. Like the windows are not the original ones and we hate the bronze color they have!!
Proudest DIY: The lamp in the living room. We took that branch from the street on a super rainy and windy day, and then bought all the pieces and made it entirely ourselves. We are really proud of it!
Best Advice: Be patient! Don't do it all at once. You will find the perfect piece, sofa, or table at the right moment. So relax! And learn what your house really needs.
- Frame picture by our friend @anaisvauxcelles
- Coat rack: Market in Fairfax with Melrose. Los Angeles.
- White piece from Ikea.
- Medical cabinet from Ikea full of travel memories, gifts and our analog cameras.
- Tv stand from Maison du monde.
- Sofa from Ikea.
- Cushions and blanket from Zara Home.
- Wicker chair from Ikea.
- Shelve from Maison du monde. Full of special pieces from our travels bought in different stores and markets around the globe.
- Cactus neon. Custom made from Jose's uncle.
- Dining table from Ikea.
- Other tables are from vintage markets in Valencia.
- Sofa from Ikea.
- Coffee table from Ikea.
- Rocking chair from Ikea.
- Acapulco chair.
- RICO letters are from a vintage market. Was the sign letters from an old toy store.
- LUCE art piece.
- Magazine rack from a vintage market.
- Puff from Marrakesh.
- DIY lamp made by us.
- Memories from our travels hanging in the wall.
- Map from a vintage store from Oporto.
- Bedcover and cushions from Zara Home.
- Furniture from Ikea.
- Chairs from Ikea.
- Table from Ikea.
- Anker Prod prototype made by Ausias Pérez.
- Old typewriter from Olivetti.