Sarah and Lindsay haven't even lived together for half a year, but their styles have already merged seamlessly. Sarah brought the cozy Southwestern elements while Lindsay brought the Mid-century modern, and all the colors and patterns work with the nature-inspired elements to create a space that is warm and inviting.
Sarah is the one who cites nature as an inspiration, but they both brought pieces that fit the theme. From the tree stump coffee table to the plants scattered throughout, nature is everywhere. The coffee table, which is one of their favorite pieces, once belonged to Lindsay's mom, and it sat in storage for years before Lindsay adopted it as her own.
Both roommates are artists, and their art can be seen in every room. Lindsay is a jewelry designer—her workspace is in the front of the apartment—and she also designed and built the Mid-century-inspired credenza in the living room. Sarah makes wood burnings, paintings, and woven pieces, several of which can be seen throughout their home. She also works in fashion, and her hat collection doubles as wall decoration in her bedroom.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Sarah: Southwest-inspired, cozy, colorful
Lindsay: Mid-century, bohemian, modern, handmade
Sarah: I go on a lot of outdoor adventures and am always inspired by the outdoors. I also love transitioning my love for fashion and putting that towards my home decor. I get inspired by all the colors, patterns, and texture of people’s wardrobes.
Lindsay: I love good design, vintage home decor, and collecting pieces from friends who also make things.
Sarah: Plants and natural light
Lindsay: The crates used as a half wall/bookshelf to separate my home office
Working with such an open space. Not being able to paint since it’s a rental.
What Friends Say:
Sarah: "It’s amazing and well-curated!"
Lindsay: “That coffee table!”
Our flat woven white rug looks very lived-in. We are overdue for a replacement!
Sarah: Yarn wall hangings
Lindsay: While taking a couple furniture classes in school, I designed and built the walnut and green Mid-century-inspired credenza that is in our living room.
Sarah: Don’t be afraid to mix two styles into one home.
Lindsay: Take your time collecting pieces for your home and make well-thought-out purchases.
- Couch: World Market
- Black-and-white rug: IKEA
- Table: inherited
- Chair: salvaged
- Ottoman: Target
- Green pillow: Urban Outfitters
- Flowers: Asrai Garden in Chicago
- Plants: Adams & Sons Gardens in Chicago
- Hanging planter: thrift store
- Cowhide rug: eBay
- Large mirror: IKEA
- End table: thrift store
- Lamp: thrift store
- White plant pot: IKEA
- Pine bench with pillow: IKEA
- Black-and-white yarn wall hanging: made by Sarah
- Art print: Tools by Jodi Lynn's Emporium of Doodles
- Wicker basket: thrift store
- Lamp: Target
- Ladder: salvaged
- Rug: Alapash
- Wood round chair: thrift store
- Black-and-white pillow: IKEA
- Horns: flea market
- Walnut credenza: made by Lindsay
- Grey wall hanging: Attalie Dexter
- BB King poster: Hatch Show Print
- Curtain: IKEA
- Blanket: a roadside store in NY
- Quilted pillow: Urban Outfitters
- Plants: Adams & Son Gardens in Chicago
- Hanging plant holder: Adams & Son Gardens in Chicago
- Lamp: IKEA
- Dresser: IKEA
- Shelves : IKEA
- Mirror: IKEA
- Rug on wall: antique shop
- Hats: thrift stores, Una Mae's in Chicago
- Trinkets on shelves: art from friends, thrifted items, Sarah's photography
- Stay True painting: by Sarah
- Everything Will Be OK art: by Sarah
- Curtains: IKEA
- Blanket: Humboldt House
- Yellow pillow: Urban Outfitters
- Triangle mirror: Norman Leigh Design
- Nightstand: Target
- Brass lamp: Target
- Ceramic hanging planter: Leah Ball Ceramics
- Dresser: IKEA
- Rug: IKEA
- White geometric vase: Rosenthal Studio
- Full-length mirror: inherited
- Wall hanging: Attalie Dexter
- Art print: My Body by Laura Berger
- Desk: built by Lindsay
- Crates: Home Depot
- Wood shelf: Home Depot
- Window frame necklace display: salvaged
- Grey drawer set: IKEA
- Stool: thrift store
- Wooden desk organizer: Rio Grande
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!