Name: Dan & Amanda
Profession: Music teacher & Graduate student
Location: Old Irving Park, Chicago
Type: 3BR, 2nd-floor unit in Victorian 2-flat (1902)
Years lived in: 1
Dan is a teacher, Amanda's studying to become one and if there's one class they could teach together, it's HOW TO BE RESOURCEFUL: 101. Their style is loose, eclectic, and can't be purchased in any showroom. Most of their furnishings have been found in thrift stores, on craigslist, or have been passed down from family. They've also been known to, on more than a few occasions, take someone else's "trash," add their own touches, and turn it back into treasure.
Not afraid of a little work, Dan and Amanda have tackled projects such as stripping paint from (almost) all the wood trim and stenciling the walls in their kitchen. They've come to realize that creating a home is a process. It requires time, patience, a few missteps and recovery, and (okay, fine) maybe some money. But they stayed up all night cramming and memorized the chapter about homemaking also being fun.
our Style… Re-used.
the Inspiration… Found objects - what else could we use this for?
favorite element… Painted windows in the front stairwell (but they are the most recent addition).
biggest Challenge… Hanging the chandelier and stripping the paint off of the woodwork.
what Friends Say… "So…what's new this time?"
proudest DIY… Removing plastic tiles from hallway [walls] and installing wood paneling.
biggest Indulgence… Bad-ass brown leather chair – the only piece that entered our home wearing a tag.
best Advice… You can always paint over it.
our Dream Source… Two money trees!
Garbage picking in the alleys, Menards, Crafty Beaver, garage sales, our parents' basements, craigslist, Donna Hamilton at Dream Interiors in Downers Grove.
• Piano: Cable. From Dan's mother
• Brown Leather Chair: Dream Interiors
• Bookcase near brown chair: Craigslist
• Fancy Lady Ottoman: Dream Interiors
• Desk: Found in a dumpster in Boston
• Yellow podiatrist (office) chair: Craigslist
• Shelving unit in office: Found in an alley
• Console table: Target
• White column display shelves: Estates sale
• Orange chairs in dining room: Amanda's grandma
• Cedar chest in bedroom: Garage sale
• Headboard: Amanda's childhood bed
• Red bureau: Kane County Antique show
• White side table in bedroom: Kane County Antique show
• Sofa in second bedroom: Crate & Barrel
• Chopping block: Craigslist
• Orange Baking Hoosier: Dan's great grandmother
• Plants in garden: Farmer's Garden
• Metronome (triangular) on piano: Santa
• Electronic Metronome (on right) on piano: Estate sale
• Throw on brown chair: Ragstock
• Blue vase near brown chair: Wal-Mart
• Clock near brown chair: Museum of Science and Industry gift shop
• Throw on ottoman: Made by Dan's grandma
• Rug in dining room: Urban Outfitters
• Dining table: Wedding gift to Amanda's grandparents in the '50s
• Empty frames: Alleys and garage sales
• White mirror: Craigslist
• Pink centerpieces: Marshall's & Amanda's great aunt
• 1920s antique English cloche: Lille
• Bedding: Ikea
• Pillows on bed: TJ Maxx
• Silver prints: Ikea
• Bedding: Ikea
• Mirrors above bureau: Amanda's mom
• Bathmat: TJ Maxx
• Bathroom trashcan: Ace Hardware
• Trumpet: Dan's school
• Gray candlesticks: Amanda's grandma
• Quilt on sofa: the Company Store
• Pantry storage boxes: IKEA
• Cakestand: Amanda's grandmother made it
• Yellow lamp on piano: Garage Sale
• Other two lamps on piano: Home Depot
• Chandelier: From Dan's parents' basement
• Bathroom sconces: Menards
• Dining room: White sheets from JCPenny's & a vintage linen tablecloth found at a garage sale
• Bedroom: Made by Amanda, fabric from Jo-Ann's
• Stained glass windows in bathroom & stairwell: Dan's parents' house
• Record holders: Materials from Menards
• Wood paneling in hallway: Menards
• Stencil in kitchen: Colori
• Living Room: Sherwin Williams "Mannered Gold"
• Bedrooms: Epco Paint "Tatami Tan"
• Hallway: Ralph Lauren "Sweet Cream"
• Kitchen: Epco Paint "Artichoke"
• Relief map above piano: Dan's school
• Teal framed artwork near brown chair: Amanda's grandma
• Band posters: Bought at shows
• Silver prints: Amanda's mom
• "Clarence Reid..." poster: Show at the Hideout
• Landscape in second bedroom: Garage sale
• Mary & Jesus: Found in garbage
• Andy Warhol prints in kitchen: Pages from a calendar