Lorena Siminovich and Esteban Kerner
1000 sq. ft.
Years lived in:
>> Enter Slideshow
San Francisco artist Lorena Siminovich has a knack for putting things together. Take her collages, which combine vintage, found, recycled and painted papers. The end result? Whimsical works of art that are carried in stores like Velocity Art and Design, Zinc Details and Anthropologie.
Then there's the Edwardian house she shares with her husband, fashion designer Esteban Kerner. It's a wonderful mix of finds from their favorite shops, as well as garage sales and flea markets. The couple, who hail from Argentina, have also infused an international flair with pieces from New York (they moved from Brooklyn to San Francisco in 2006), Buenos Aires, Paris and London. It all comes together in a home that is as comfortable as it is stylish.
>> Enter Slideshow
Our Style: Midcentury and Scandinavian inspired.
The inspiration for our home: Nothing in particular and too many things to list!
Favorite element: Brown wall in the living room.
What friends say about our home: That it is neat and clean and modern, but folksy.
Biggest embarrassment in our home: The closets you won't find them in any photo.
Proudest DIY: Painting the Saarinen tulip chair found for $10 in a garage sale, and keeping alive the succulent plants!>> Enter Slideshow
Biggest indulgence with respect to our home: Is yet to come!
Best advice given or received: My mom says to put flowers in front of a mirror so they look like a fuller bunch!
Dream source for stuff: Velocity Art and Design, DWR, The Conran Shop.
• Mirror from Dorrego Market in Buenos Aires.
• Sofa from Room & Board.
• Credenza is Danish vintage.
• Lamp from ABC Carpet & Home.
• Coffee tables are vintage.
• Orange chair from Ikea.
• Pillows from Klein Reid, Fedora Design.
• Type drawer from 26th Street Flea Market in NY.
• Trays from John Derian.
• Dining table from Room & Board.
• Chairs are Jacobsen.
• Terradome from Modern Past.
• Daybed from White on White; a similar one can be found at Modernica.
• Pillows from Marimekko, ABC Carpet & Home, Clarissa Hulse.
• Bed is the Ikea Malm.
• Dresser is Danish vintage from Horseman Antiques in Brooklyn.
• Eames lounge chair.
• Lamp is Sentou in Paris.
• Desk is a painted door with Ikea legs.
• Chair is a Saarinen tulip from a garage sale.
• Desk lamp from West Elm.
• Artwork through the house by Jen Corace, Riley McFerrin, Grady McFerrin, Lisa Congdon, Chris Silas Neal, and myself!
• Photogravures in bedroom by Karl Blossfeldt.
• World map by The Future Mapping Company in the UK.
Thanks, Lorena and Esteban! To view more of their home with additional comments and captions check out her Flickr set.
Links: Lorena Siminovich, collages
(Thanks to decor8 for first bringing Lorena and Esteban's fantastic place to our attention!)
(Edited from a post originally published 07.24.07)
Do you have an idea for a house tour? Let us know!
sf (at) apartmenttherapy (dot) com