Profession: Pianist, Artist, Teacher
Type: 3BR (1917, I think)
Size: 1,400 sq ft
Years lived in: 8
Like the nautilus shell, Marjie's house is compact but entirely unique. The unassuming entryway leads straight into an expansive living room and dining room, split by a wood burning fireplace. Just as in her watercolor paintings, Marjie's use of soft, subtle color and seashells in every corner make the room feel open and breezy. A narrow, hidden staircase behind the fireplace leads to a half-landing with the only bathroom, elfin and angled.
The magic of Marjie's house is truly in the details: the shiny black of the piano, the sunburst drapery hooks, thin double doors, and stained glass. The complete tour may take only minutes but you'll feel like you've seen enough for a lifetime.
And we haven't even gotten to the garden...
the Inspiration… Music - flowers - the ocean.
favorite element… The garden.
biggest Challenge… Eliminating mice from the basement!
what Friends Say… Very beautiful - calm and peaceful.
biggest Embarrassment… Pet hair!
proudest DIY… The garden.
biggest Indulgence… A Steinway piano.
best Advice… Have fun with your house!
my Dream Source… The beach.
Home Depot, the alley, TJ Maxx, here and there...
• Table in back yard: Chalet in Wilmette
• Chairs in back yard: Heritage Antique Mall
• Steinway Piano: The Beautiful Sound
• Couch & dining chair in dining room: Crate & Barrel
• Marble-topped sideboard: Garage sale
• Telephone seat in stairway: Garage sale
• Chest/coffeetable in guest room: Kane County Flea Market
• Bedside table: Kane County Flea Market
• Bedframe: Garage sale
• 9' x 11' indoor/outdoor plastic rug: MilleFiori!
• Pillows in living room: Crate & Barrel, Osco Drug, TJ Maxx
• Rug in living room: Ballard Designs (?)
• Fabric for window seat cushion & pillows: Anthropologie
• Rocks in bathroom: Collected in Door County, WI
• Striped rug in hallway: Marjie knitted & felted herself
• Doorstop in guest room: Marjie's childhood piggybank
• Bedding: TJ Maxx
• Light fixture above piano: Vogue Lighting
• Bedside lamp: Anthropologie
• Curtain hooks in living room, etc: Anthropologie
• Curtains in living room: Made by cleaners (fabric from Vogue Fabrics)
• Curtains upstairs: Bed, Bath & Beyond
• Stained glass in kitchen: Came with the house
• Painting above fireplace: By Marjie
• Painting above telephone seat: "Door County Farm" by Marjie
• Mobile in guest room: Mindscape Adornments
• Framed photo in kitchen: Taken by Marjie's friend, Duncan
• Hung plate in kitchen: Marjie's Grandma
• Wooden bowl in entry: Made by an artist friend
• Birdbath: Kane County Flea Market
• White Flower Farm, Windy City Garden Center, Gethsemane Garden Center, Farmers' markets
• Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen: Benjamin Moore "Seafoam”
• Hallway: Benjamin Moore "Sand Dollar"
• Guest room: Benjamin Moore "Spring Green"
• Bedroom: Benjamin Moore "Dream" (maybe)
• Bathroom: Benjamin Moore "Aura" (applied, over white, with a paper towel)