I, like many others, have family that lives a plane ride away and will be spending Thanksgiving day as a single woman in a big city. Holidays are so much fun, but can be challenging when you don't have family or a significant other close. I decided to be proactive and think of different ways to celebrate the holiday. I came up with a list of holiday celebration ideas to possibly try this year.
- Arrange a Thanksgiving Dinner with Friends: I am not the only one of my friends who is both single and has family that is out of state. Instead of us both moping around at home, it would be a lot of fun to get together and bond over food.
- Go for a Hike or Run: The last few years, I have made it a tradition to go for a hike before the big meal. My body feels great, I get some sun, and don't feel as guilty about consuming more than an average amount of calories.
- Turn Thanksgiving into a Relaxation Day: During most weeks and weekends I am so busy with work that I never take a moment to relax. On holidays, businesses are closed and many people are occupied; therefore, you are forced to relax instead of work.
- Reflect on Life's Blessings: Instead of letting my mind wander thinking about how I am away from family this Thanksgiving, I would prefer to reflect on all that life has given me in the last year. This is the perfect time to let friends and family in my life know how much they mean to me.
- Make Thanksgiving a Movie Day: I love the old movies that run during the holiday season. Taking advantage of my down time and catching up on some old classics while relaxing in my pajamas all day. Not a bad way to spend Thanksgiving!