I have a friend that likes to say that a girl is always happier in a relationship with the fat funny guy than the sexy serious one. Apply that to the home, and I think we're onto something. Homes with a sense of humor can certainly rival those obsessed with style. Here are a few favorite funny touches from Apartment Therapy and beyond..
• 1. There a million things to love about Jeanine of Apartment Therapy: Boston's lovely home, but this makeshift door handle is one of my favorite elements.
• 2. pets in and of themselves always add a little bit of humor to a room, but capturing them in a formal art form like the portrait seems especially witty. I love this example for being a little offbeat and unexpected in an otherwise formal room.
• 3. Humor in a task-oriented place like kitchen is my favorite, and this knife block from Throwzini that I spotted on Shelterrific kills me.
• 4. Impressive and humorous is a winning combination, and Peter's San Francisco Loft (one of my favorite house tours of 2009) is brimming with them. Hi duct tape portrait of Mr. T was just one of Peter's jaw dropping DIYS.
• 5. Juxtaposition of fine and funny is a wonderful way to tie humor and sentiment into a home. I love seeing childhood collections worked into grownup decor like Stephanie did in her sweet Village Gem. Check out the full house tour here.
• 6. Another quirky pet portrait from Patrick of Small Cool 2009 fame.
• 7. Bathroom humor was bound to make it into this post somehow, and this toiletscape was too classic not to include.
• 8. The drawn-on or decal headboard is not so new anymore, but even so I smile whenever I see one. The best minimalist nod to ornate style love. I love this one from Lauren, one of our 2007 Fall Color Contest participants.
• 9. Love this funny monster alternative to the animal skin rug from Longoland.
And what about you, how does humor find itself a place in your home?
(Images: 1: Jeanine Brennan for Apartment Therapy: Boston, 2: James Merrell, 3: via Shelterrific, 4: Lily Gahagan for Apartment Therapy: San Fransisco, 5: Liezel Strauss for Apartment Therapy: New York, 6: Small Cool Contest 2009 for Apartment Therapy: Los Angeles, 7: The Selby via Apartment Therapy: Los Angeles, 8: Fall Color Contest 2007 for Apartment Therapy: Chicago, 9: Longoland via DesignSprout)