To make the hearts:
- Cut your construction paper into thin strips
- Fold the strips in half to create a "V" shape
- Using your finger nails, curl the ends of the strips as you would wrapping ribbon
- Coil the ends of strips tightly and hold for a few seconds and then release
- The coiled ends of the strips can be glued together with a drop of glue to form a heart
- Let the hearts dry completely
We have to admit, we snagged the idea for the hearts from our neighbor down the street who always has such great crafts at her place. Not only is she creating cards using the construction paper hearts, she is also decorating gifts with them using them as tags.
Once you have your hearts, have your child decorate the cards any way they like. Have them go nuts! For our cards, we used remnants of ivory wedding paper we had left over from some invitations we made. There's no need to spend a lot of money to create these Valentine's. The mish mosh of papers, textures and shapes is what gives the cards charm.