It's spring, which means allergy season is upon us. If you have mild allergies, you can do a few things to minimize triggers. Click below to see our room-by-room guide to allergy control...
If you have severe allergies, follow your physician's instructions, take care not to stir up dust, and avoid contact with allergens in your home. Ask a friend or family member to help allergy-proof each room. Also wear a dust mask while deep-cleaning to prevent your allergies from acting up.
• Avoid cleaners that include chemical irritants.
• Use green cleaners like vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda.
• Keep the kitchen well ventilated with an exhaust fan above the stove.
• Use a garbage can with a pest-proof lid.
• Take out the garbage and recycling regularly.
• Clean surfaces daily with a green cleaner.
• Clean inside the cabinets and refrigerator every few months.
• Make sure your bathroom has good ventilation to prevent mold growth.
• If your bathroom doesn't have proper ventilation, use a dehumidifier.
• Keep the shower curtain and bathroom door open when not in use.
• Clean tile and fixtures regularly with a green disinfectant.
• Machine-wash fabric shower curtains often with hot water.
• Clean plastic or vinyl shower curtains to prevent mildew. For the how-to, click here.
• If possible, have someone remove the carpeting from your bedroom.
• If removing carpet is not possible, vacuum once or twice a week.
• Use a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate absorption) air filter in the bedroom.
• Use an allergen-proof cover on your mattress and boxsprings.
• Wash blankets, sheets, and curtains regularly in hot water.
• Avoid upholstered furniture in the bedroom.
• Keep the bedroom clear of clutter and dust regularly.
• If possible, keep pets out of the bedroom.
• If possible, choose hardwood flooring over wall-to-wall carpeting.
• Limit throw rugs and vacuum them once or twice a week.
• Use washable rugs and curtains in the living room and launder them in hot water.
• Store firewood outside.
• Use an air purifier in the living room.
Other Related Resources from Apartment Therapy:
• Best Product: IQAir Health Pro Plus
• Chemicals to Avoid in Household Cleaners
• How To: Clean Plastic or Vinyl Shower Curtains
• How To: Tear Up Carpet
• Best Vacuum Roundup
• How To: Declutter the Bedroom
• How To: Create a Dust-Free Bedroom
Top Photo: Morguefile