Included in Lifehacker's Top Ten IKEA mods, we wanted to share this ingenious storage solution for multiple bikes in a small space.
Taken from IkeaHacker, Michael constructed this bike rack using just a few simple pieces of hardware from Ikea: a Stolmen post, a couple of brackets, and four hooks.
Building the rack works as follows:
1. Cut two pieces of the square pipe; choose the length depending on the design of your bike frame.
2. Drill 3 holes into the pieces of square pipes.
3. Screw a hook on each end of the pipe; screw the pipe to the bracket.
4. Now you can mount the stolmen post and adjust the two brackets on it.
5. Finally glue some of the rubber foam to the hooks to not scratch the bike frame.
Total cost? Just over $40; and according to Michael, "this should just take you like ½ an hour."
Originally published 10.22.2008 - AA