Renters are often frustrated by the oppressive ugliness of a landlord's taste in light fixtures. So, we've come up with some good resources on how to take matters into your own hands... without electrocuting them.
• What Do I Know has a chatty, well-written account that will inspire you to start the project.
• The DIY Network has a demo of a light fixture installation that includes pictures.
• This is the one to follow. eHow's goes step-by-step and includes important precautions like testing twice to make sure the power supply is cut off by using a circuit tester.
• Good Questions: Light Fixture Makeover?
• How To: Replace Ugly Rental Ceiling Shades
• Change Your Lights, Change Your Room
• NYT: Renovating Rentals
Image: Robes of Earth
(Edited from a post originally published 11.14.06 - CB)