Microwaves are an efficient (and therefore green!) way of cooking
, but they can be really unpleasant to clean. We’ve got a green method that works well, and all you need is water and a little bit of baking soda (which you can also use to soften sheets
and scrub the tub
- Put one or two cups of water in a large, heat-proof glass or ceramic bowl. and add one tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Microwave until about half the water has evaporated.
- Wait about 10 minutes and don’t open the door. This lets the water cool off a bit and the steam penetrate any baked-on crud in the oven. Remove the bowl carefully; the water will still be hot enough to burn, so wear hot mitts.
- Scrub the walls of the microwave with a sponge sprinkled with a bit of baking soda; baked on stains should come off with relative ease.
- Wipe down the microwave with a reusable cloth dampened in clean water and the oven will be sparkling clean and free of odors.
Got a better or greener way to do this job? Do tell!
image by digi via sxc.hu