Did you know a clean toilet will help keep your household healthy? As cold and flu season approach, be sure to add these simple steps to your chore list to keep germs at bay.
What You Need
- Toilet Brush
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner (We used Coca-Cola)
- Disinfectant Spray (We use a mixture of water & vinegar)
- Start with the bowl. Apply the bowl cleaner under the rim and let it work its way down. Use the toilet brush to scrub the bowl, be sure to get everything hiding under the rim. Close the lid and let the cleaner soak in the bowl for 10-15 minutes.
- While the bowl is soaking, spray down the outside of the toilet with your disinfectant, starting at the top of the tank and working your way down. Use your sponge, washing it out with hot water often.
- Pop the lid back open and get to work on the rim of the toilet. This is always the grossest part but will clean easily with the right amount of disinfectant and elbow grease.
- Grab that toilet brush once more and give the well-soaked bowl one last scrub.
- Keep it Clean. My household makes it a point to wipe the rim down after each use. This keeps unwanted surprises from greeting guests when they use our bathroom and makes cleaning day much easier.
More great tips and tutorials: Cleaning Basics
Original post by Laure Joliet January 19, 2011