Dave Drager of makeuseof.com has an easy to follow set of step-by-step directions for creating your own emergency USB first aid kit to troubleshoot an ailing PC system using a USB flash drive and a battery of diagnostic software...
Dave recommends copying Ultimate Boot CD onto the flash drive, a piece of software with memory checkers, CPU stress testers, system information tools, boot managers and tools for hard drives, partitions, and password resets with the following directions (provided by pendrivelinux):
- Download the Ultimate Boot CD iso file and place it into its own directory
- Download the UBCDfix.exe file and run it, extracting into the above folder
- From this folder click fixubcd.bat and follow the instructions
- Move the contents of the /dir/USBUBCD folder to your USB drive
- From your USB drive, run makeboot.bat to make it bootable
This portable computer first aid kit has been used to tackle fixing boot loader issues, to run Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe a system before recycling it, correct freezing issues caused by bad RAM and run OEM HD tools to confirm a hard drive malfunction. For more about Dave's pocket PC repair toolkit, check out his post here.