I have a thing for maps, especially city maps. I love the way that admiring a map instantly reminds you of the myriad of reasons you love the city you live in. It can also quickly take you back to an incredible journey you took long ago, or catapult you forward in a longing reverie of a far-away place yet to be visited.
Like most things, I think I'll enjoy this paper cut map even more because I'll have made it myself, so I plan to give this project a try. This bright orange DIY map of Amsterdam from Just Crafty Enough has inspired me and the steps look simple enough:
1) Find a detailed (but not too detailed) map of your city of choice.
2) Use a thin black marker and a ruler to emphasize the lines that you are going to cut out. (Leaving just the streets.)
3) Scan the map (with your markings) onto your computer and flip the image (so that the correct side will be outwardly facing when you mount it.)
4) Grab your exacto knife and cut away!
5) Spray adhesive onto your freshly-cut map and mount it. Enjoy!
One of these maps would make a great Valentine's Day gift. The possibilities are endless: the town where you met your love, the city where you fell in love, or that place that is forever perfect in your heart. After all, we'll always have Paris.
Images: Just Crafty Enough