A cold, rainy spring, but spring all the same. It really is time to take down your holiday lights.
To motivate you, here's a simple and beautiful way to recycle them:
1. Choose your location well. The dappled light produced by a basket light is most dramatic on ceilings and in corners. And we recommend a spot near an outlet, to minimize cord chaos.
2. Choose an attractive basket with a loose weave (for the holes). Shaker cheese baskets
3. Loosely pile a string of lights into the basket. (Yes, that's right, pile. The beauty of this trick is that it doesn't require the annual pre-holiday detangling ritual.) Make sure the socket end of the lights is accessible.
4. Upend the basket on a night-table or shelf in your well-chosen location, or hang it on a wall hook like a sconce.
5. Plug the socket end of the holiday light string into a dimmer adapter and make sure the switch is easily reachable.
6. Voila! A golden-hued source of light during the day, and a dramatic night light. Use the dimmer to fine-tune the light patterns on your walls and ceiling.
To: All How To...