I have a unicorn in my living room. It is pretty much the first thing people notice when they walk in. Some of them don't say anything, but they notice. I can tell.
I've decided the unicorn's name is Louise, because my stand partner in orchestra in high school was named Louise, and she was really nice. Also, I think Louise is a good name for a unicorn. And if you're going to live with a unicorn, you might as well be on a first-name basis.
Louise the Unicorn.
Although my unicorn looks like a giant stuffed animal, there is actually a story behind it: it's a Halloween costume, originally intended for a small child (here it is on an adorable little girl), that I DIYed to fit me. Now that Halloween is over, I am not quite sure to what to do with Louise. I mean, you can't throw away a unicorn. So she has become a part of my decor, and I must say she adds a certain special touch to my living room.
You're probably wondering how you, too, can decorate with unicorns. They are magical beasts. Fortunately, Apartment Therapy has some ideas.
1. There is a long and proud tradition of decorating with unicorns. This tapestry, from a series called The Hunt of the Unicorn, dates to 1495. Image from Wikipedia.
2. Unicorn skull jewelry case, $85.00 from Cameo Nouveau.
3. Hang this diminutive little unicorn head any place in your house that needs a little extra whimsy. From Planet Fur.
4. Unicorn kitchen towel, $14.00 from Girls Can Tell.
5. Cardboard unicorn trophy head, $30.00 from Cardboard Safari.
6. There's a surprise waiting in your shower. Unicorn shower curtain, $57.99 from Cafe Press.
7. This brass unicorn figure is almost a foot tall. That's a lot of magic. Brass unicorn, $45.00 from A 2nd Life.
8. Vintage Unicorn lamp with lavender cord, $1,275.00 from Earth Sea Warrior.
9. These unicorn chopsticks will make your meal pure magic. Urban Outfitters, $12.00.
10. Unicorn toile is a thing. Unicorn toile iPhone cover, $16.00 from Urban Outfitters.
(Images: 1. World of Interiors via Design Crisis, 2. Nancy Mitchell, all others: as credited above)