Among our favorite suggestions are:
• Reserve one side of sofa cushions to be shown to guests. Before company arrives, flip over the cushions to reveal good-as-new fabric. When guests are gone, flip them back.
• When the dishwasher is full and the sink is overflowing, stow dirty dishes and silverware in a stockpot and pull them out later to be cleaned.
• Glide a sticky lint roller over the bath mat to pick up hair.
• Rid the sofa of pet hair by wetting the fingertips of rubber gloves and gliding your hand over the sofa. The hair will stick to the rubber.
• Temporarily hide wayward Post-it notes and to-do lists underneath the keyboard.
Some that we wanted to add:
• Wrangle all papers, magazines, clippings and to do lists that are sitting on the dining room table and stick them anywhere, especially their own bag/drawer/cabinet. Promise yourself you will deal with them later.
• Pull out half the jackets/sweaters/coats/bags from the landing strip (the first thing people see when they come in) and dump them in a closet. Also promise yourself that these will be dealt with soon.
• Leave and walk back through the front door, deal with the first mess people would see.
• Shine the faucets with a damp washcloth, if the faucets are clean, the whole bathroom looks clean.
What are you ways to fake a clean house?
Image from House Tour: Matt's Eclectic Luxury