When you move into your own place, you value Mom's homemaking advice more than when you were a child who didn't want to make the bed. Now that I'm married and in a brand-new apartment, I have decided to relearn my mother's art of hospital corners.
Nothing feels better to me when it's time to sleep than a firm, crisply made bed — it's so classy, neat and orderly! Not to mention that it stays tucked twice as long as sheets that are shoved under the mattress.
• 1 Lay the sheet on the bed, making sure it's flat.
• 2 Tuck the sheet firmly under the bottom of the bed.
• 3 Hold the sheet away from the bed. Pull it up on top of the mattress, making a triangle.
• 4 Tuck the end that drapes underneath the mattress.
• 5 Bring the remaining piece of sheet down neatly. Tuck this last piece underneath the mattress.
(Images: Lindsey Roberts)