• 1. Arrange a layer of pebbles that is at least 1" deep on the bottom of the vase.
• 2. Place bulbs root side down (you should see a knot where the roots will eventually appear from) into the pebbles so that the bottom centimeter is surrounded.
• 3. Pour water to the top of (but not above) the pebble line (tip: the bulb should not be touching the water or it will rot. Eventually the roots will grow to "find" the water)
• 4. Water every few days as you notice the water line dip below the pebbles.
• 5. Watch roots sprout and shoots grow and flowers bloom!
You should start to notice roots sprouting from below within a few days of planting. Shortly after you will notice the green shoot begin to emerge from the top of the bulb, and within 4-6 weeks you will see your first bloom. During the last two weeks, the stems grow quite rapidly, so if you are using a short container you might want to try staking them with a stick (or chopstick) and a twist tie or thread. However, because of the smell I'm usually about ready to ditch them by the time they get that tall ;)
(Images: Leah Moss)