Tranquility, peace, rest and reprieve—just a few integral qualities usually on the wish list for the perfect bedroom. So, we decided to comb through some of the most luxurious retreats we could find to see what exactly the recipe for perfection is. And what we found were a few common ingredients that turn an ordinary room into extraordinary sleeping quarters.
Sure, these bedrooms are unapologetically large, but their essence can be replicated with some key pieces. Get inspired and go shopping to create your ultimate luxury retreat, no matter how much square footage you have to work with.
Though most don't have room for a full-on seating area like in the above bedroom by Scott Mitchell featured on Architectural Digest, a cozy accent chair or loveseat will do just the trick for sinking into after a long day should you have a spare corner to fill.
- Gray Round Seren Chair and a Half at World Market, $399.99
- Olney Chaise Lounge at All Modern, $699.99
- Loveseat by Container at Wayfair, $215.99
- Clarkedale Chair at Birch Lane, $463
- Cameron Armchair at Capsule Home, $599
- Söderhamn Chaise at Ikea, $250
Crisp sheets, fluffy or sheen duvets and subtle detailing achieves a perfectly plush bed in this bedroom by Brian McCarthy as featured in Elle Decor. Here are some options that hit different price points.
- White Pique Queen Coverlet and Pique Standard Sham at Biscuit Home, $325 (Queen) and $135
- Fez Sheets at Bunglo, $225 for Queen
- Triplo Bourdon Euro Sham at Frette, $95
- Supima Hotel Sheet Set – Fieldcrest at Target, $79.99 (Queen)
- Tencel Duvet Cover and Shams at West Elm, $99 for Queen Duvet, $29 for Sham
- Newbury Bedding at Z Gallerie, $199.95 for Queen Duvet and $69.95 for Shams (Set of 2)
Tara Shaw's collected yet chic bedroom (via Veranda) wouldn't be the same without an eclectic nightstand. Add a little something extra to your bedside with an unexpected choice.
- Screen Door Nightstand by Nate Berkus at Target, $146.99
- Amira Carved Wood Dresser at Urban Outfitters, $719
- Ashby Dresser at Pottery Barn, $899.99
- Shagreen Embossed Nightstand at CB2, $429
- Amis Console Natural at Houzz, $869
- CasaFlorentina Fiore Side Table at Ballard Design, $899
Lighting is key in any space, but particularly in a bedroom where a range of lighting is necessary—mix task lighting (like the table lamps on the nightstands of this bedroom from Architectural Digest, designed by Solid Betancourt & Sherrill) with subtle sconces to create soft ambient light for settling down.
- Menlo Park 14" High Deep Bronze Wall Sconce at Lamps Plus, $192
- Alto Sconce at Cedar & Moss, $199
- Clarissa Crystal Globe Table Lamp at Target, $89.99
- Blair Table Lamp at Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams, $360
- Roar + Rabbit Faceted Glass Sconce at West Elm, $89
- Uteki Painted Lamp Ensemble at Anthropologie, $148
Long, draping fabrics—whether on your windows or around your bed (like in the Manhattan bedroom of actor Meg Ryan, shown in Architectural Digest)—are an instant drama boost.
- Cotton Luster Velvet Curtains at West Elm, Starting at $89
- Belgian Textured Linen Drapery at Restoration Hardware, Starting at $125 (on sale)
- Pieced Eyelet Window Curtain at Urban Outfitters, $79
- Dupioni Silk Drape at Pottery Barn, $119
- Lindstrom Curtains at Crate + Barrel, $49.95
- Washed Linen Curtain Panel at H&M Home, $49.99
The staple end-of-bed bench is a go-to designer move for a reason: it provides seating for putting on/taking off shoes, but also, it's another moment in the boudoir to get in some texture. Keep it neutral like Veere Grenney did in the bedroom above from Architectural Digest, or have a little fun with brighter colors or patterns.
- Driffield Upholstered Bedroom Bench at Wayfair, $122.22
- Porthos Home Matilda Upholstered Bench at Overstock, $135.98
- Eleanor Upholstered Tufted Bench at Target, $259.99
- Baxton Studio Hirst Bedroom Bench in Grey at Bed Bath & Beyond, $269.99
- Response Fabric Bench at Novi Décor, $336
- Velvet Edlyn Bench at Anthropologie, $648
What luxury bedroom would be complete without a sumptuous headboard and well-appointed bedframe? With or without those luscious draperies, this stately bed seen in Architectural Digest would exude luxury. Start here to get the look.
- Octavia Headboard with Nailheads at Serena & Lily, starting at $995
- Sahara Elsie Upholstered Headboard at World Market, $319.99
- Skyline Furniture Linen French Yellow Tufted Headboard at Overstock, $242.54
- Coco Headboard at Caitlin Wilson, $495
- Audrey Upholstered Flax Headboard at Pier 1, starting at $129.98
- Anita Velvet Tufted Headboard at Lulu & Georgia, $360
More bedroom ideas this way: