One of our biggest gripes with the new Apple TV 2G has been its finicky support for formats (which is why we've been working our butts off trying to get all types of files to easily stream via iTunes). But enough with that. We're tired of workarounds. Today, we'll be going in and showing you guys how to jailbreak, install XBMC, and start streaming every format ever created over to your Apple TV 2G.
STUFF YOU WILL NEED:
- AppleTV 2G
- A Micro USB 2.0 Cable ($10)
- A Mac (They're currently working on getting a Windows version together)
Step One: Jailbreak your AppleTV using Seas0nPass (FREE)
- Grab the jailbreak over at Seas0nPass.com.
- Plug in your AppleTV to your Mac using the Micro USB 2.0 cable.
- Follow the instructions on the Firecore site (we recommend following the directions closely, including making sure none of your iPads or iPhones are connected during the jailbreaking process).
Step Two: Get Your Apple TV IP Address
- Once Apple TV is connected to the network, go to the Settings menu on Apple TV.
- Select General, then Network.
- Write down your IP address. It should looking something like 169.x.x.x.
Step Three: Install XBMC
- Once your Apple TV 2G is jailbroken and you have the IP address written down, you can access it over the network via Terminal.
- If you haven't used Terminal before, it's pretty simple. Just go to that search icon on the upper right of your Mac and type in "Terminal". Press Enter launch it.
- Then, enter the following commands over here, making sure you replace the default IP address with the one you wrote down.
And that's it! You should now be able to pull up XBMC from your Apple menu and start setting up your budget media streamer with no further conversions necessary - or iTunes for that matter!