How To Handle Quirky Window (and Quirky Landlord)?

Good Questions

Q: I just moved into a charming, old, third-floor walk-up apartment. Among its many charms is a large, crooked bay window in the living room. The moulding is uneven and beat-up, but the window provides a gorgeous view of the city skyline through the trees. I love the apartment, but my landlord is kind of unusual. I've had to purchase and install a lot of fixtures that would be standard in most apartments. Which brings me to the bay window. I'm trying to figure out window treatments and having a hard time:

Pin it button big

Were I a homeowner, I would just buy horizontal blinds or roman shades and that would be that. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money on fixtures I can't take with me or have to sell awkwardly to the next tenant. I tried to buy old-fashioned roller shades today and found they couldn't cut them small enough for the side windows (~17").

So, to sum up: I'm looking for something inexpensive or transferable, and unobtrusive, so as not to hide my amazing view. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent by Debbie

Editor: Leave your suggestions for Debbie in the comments — thanks!

• Got a question? Send us yours with pic attachments here (those with pics get answered first).

You Might Also Like

Promoted Stories


Main, Style, DIY, Good Questions

Regina is an architect who lives with her husband and children in Lawrence, KS. As a LEED Accredited Professional and longtime contributor to Apartment Therapy and The Kitchn, her focus is on healthy, sustainable living through design.