Shelves (cut to size)
Brackets (different designs to choose from)
1. Measure the space where you'd like to install your shelving. We only needed 2 pieces of upright shelving since our cabinet space is small (but for larger jobs, you may want more upright shelving and more shelves).
2. Make a quick trip to your local hardware store or Home Depot. Once we found the upright shelving and brackets, we made our way over to the lumber yard. We picked out white melamine (which is inexpensive and already painted). But you might want to check out untreated wood and paint to match your decor style.
3. Before installing the upright shelving, make sure the indentations are facing the correct direction so the brackets fit properly. Then simply secure with anchors and screws in the allocated spots.
4. Next, organize the bottom shelf as you like (we prefer heaviest items on the bottom). Once those items are set, you can then insert the first set of brackets at the correct height for the items.
5. Simply slide your first shelf onto the brackets checking for balance and sturdiness.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5, working upwards until all your shelving is hung.
7. Next up, organizing the items with proper containers!
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See all of our Home Hacks tutorials
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own Home Hacks tutorial or idea here!
(Images: Beth Zeigler)