What You Need
1. Turn off power to area your are working on.
2. Remove the cover plate from your switch or outlet box with a screwdriver.
3. Select the proper foam seal and remove the cut outs. If you are sealing a multi-switch box, use the appropriately sized foam seal, or trim and duct tape together multiple seals for the correct length.
4. Place the seal over the open face of the wire box and line up the holes.
5. Replace the switch plate or outlet cover.
6. Bonus points for using those outlet safety plugs to further eliminate heat loss through outlets.
Additional Notes: To take the insulating one step further, we'd also recommend caulking the perimeter of the outlet boxes to the surrounding drywall, this will also help eliminate drafts and sound transfer.
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See all of our Home Hacks tutorials
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own Home Hacks tutorial or idea here!
(Images: Rachel Wray)