Last December, we featured AT regular, Lori2's Mom's fabulous Palm Springs home. Many people inquired about the platform bed that she made, and Lori2's mom just sent us detailed plans and an instructional on exactly how it was done. (thanks to Lori2 and her mom for sharing this!) See all the details for this project after the jump!link to a larger sized diagram.
To make the Platform Bed You will need:
- 2 30 x 80" primed hollow core doors (no holes)(Join these to make the platform.
- 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood (7" x 60") for long sides of base
- 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood (7" x 34.5") for short sides of base
- 4 metal straps (1 1/8" x 6"L) to bolt doors to each other
- 8 angles (1/2" x 5/8") to make box for platform base. Use 2 angles at each corner to fasten pieces of plywood to each other
- 12 angles (2 1/2"L x 5/8"W) to attatch base to platform
- 8 2" L screws to join pieces of plywood (use 2 screws at each corner)
- Screws for metal straps and angles (some angles are packaged with screws)
- fiberglass tape and joint compound
- Use a square to make sure base is square.
To Construct the Platform Bed:
- Purchase items listed.
- Build platform of bed by joining two 30 x 80 inch doors with 4 metal straps (6 x 1 1/8 inch). Space straps evenly divided along center of platform. Find substantial part of door to screw into.
- Cut 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood 7 x 34.5 inches
- Cut 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood 7 x 60 inches
- Make base of bed by creating a 4 sided box. Attatch the long plywood pieces to one short piece placing the edges of the long pieces on the outside of the short piece. Use 2 inch screws to join pieces.
- Attatch the second short piece by placing it between the ends of the two long pieces, thus creating a box. Use 2 inch screws to join pieces. Your box will measure 36 x 60.
- Screw 2 angles on each inside corner of box to add stability to box. Use a square to ensure that the box is square.
- Lay platform (two doors) on floor with the underside up. Place the box 7 inches from the head of the platform and 13 inches from the foot of the platform. Center the box leaving 12 inches from each side.
- Attach the underside of platform (side with metal straps) to the box with 12 angles. Evenly space 2 angles on each end and 4 angles on each side.
- Prime and paint the box.
- Turn the bed over and prime and paint the top and sides of the platform. Use fiberglass tape and joint compound to fill the seam between the two doors. This only needs to be done for three or four inches at the foot and the head of the platform (as the mattress will cover most of the platform). Sand this smooth and then paint.