This is one of our all-time favorite how-tos and it comes from longtime Apartment Therapy reader Art. Way back when, he sent in this fun project as an entry in our January Jumpstart contest. He called it the "I'm Bringing Sticky Back" Doggie Bed Project and it's an easy solution for making a cozy spot for your pet with NO SEWING required...
Project: Flokati Doggie Bed
Time: One Hour
Tools and Resources:
One pair of scissors, two 12' boxes of sticky back velcro (with a little bit left over at the end), optional superglue, one Ikea Flokati wool rug, one Ikea Gosa Vila 26 x 26 pillow stuffer and a tape measure.
Step by Step:
1. Lay rug upside down on the floor
2. Measure all 4 sides of the rug and determine the half way mark of the rug (the point where the rug creases when folded in half.
3. Measure and cut lengths of fuzzy sticky back velcro to cover the three sides of one half of the underside of the rug.
4. Measure and cut lengths of scratchy sticky back velcro to cover the other three sides of the other half of the underside of the rug.
5. Remove the sticky back velcro backing and adhere the velcro to the underside of the rug.
6. Lay the pillow on one half of the underside of the rug and fold the other end of the rug over the pillow while crimping the velcro together to seal the pillow up like a giant ravioli.
7. Place your small to medium dog on the pillow and watch them sleep.
Originally published 2.2.09 - JL