When wasps make their home in an inconvenient location, like under your deck, and declare war on anyone from your friends to your dog, you might feel it's time to take some action. Rather than running out to the store for chemical relief why not create this simple trap:
What You Need
A soda bottle (any size should work)
Flat soda or sugar water
A teaspoon of laundry soap
1. Clean the soda bottle thoroughly and discard the cap.
2. Cut the top off of the bottle as shown in the photograph.
3. Flip the top over, placing the neck in the bottle. Staple the top to the bottle as shown.
4. Bait the trap with sugar water or flat soda and a teaspoon of laundry soap. The laundry soap insures the effectiveness of the trap even if the wasp leaves the bottle.
5. Hang your trap with string near the hive (be careful!)
6. Check the trap often to remove the dead wasps and replenish the bait liquid.
7. Enjoy your backyard sting free once again!
Post Update: We've corrected this post to say "wasps" not "bees."
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See more How To posts
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own tutorials or ideas here!
(Image: Flickr member Martin Ujlaki licensed for use under Creative Commons)