If carving pumpkins is not your thing, Martha Stewart offers this technique for recycling empty soup or coffee cans into passable luminescent Jack o' Lanterns.
1. Find your cans.
2. Peel off the labels and thoroughly clean the inside and outside of the cans.
3. Fill the cans with water and freeze overnight.
4. Keeping the can steady on a bag of rice, punch holes into it with an awl and hammer.
5. Defrost (not in the microwave!) and dry the cans.
6. Paint with oil-based enamel.
7. Clear any blocked holes with a toothpick.
Voila! Jack o' Lanterns that wont rot, are less tempting to pranksters, and still glow with your scary design.
• Tin Can Jack o' Lanterns on Martha Stewart