I've been looking for an inexpensive, simple way to dress up my dining room table to celebrate the height of the fall holiday season — and I came up with this leaf centerpiece which cost me under $5. Even better? My kids were able to help, and the process went really quickly … they also managed to get really messy, which is always a bonus in their book!
• shaving cream (I used a can of foamy barbasol, about $1)
• shallow pan
• acrylic craft paint (I used a few fall colors, $0.59 each)
• stick for swirling
• watercolor paper
• scraper — piece of cardboard, spatula, etc.
• branches for display
• scissors and pencil
• hot glue
1. Squirt out your shaving cream into a shallow pan.
2. Spread it out, and squirt out some paint on top.
3. Use your stick to swirl the paint and make a pattern.
4. Put a piece of watercolor paper right on top and press lightly.
5. Pull your paper up carefully — it's gonna look like a big mess!
6. Use your scraper to scrape off the shaving cream, and like magic, your design will stay on the paper!
7. Let paper dry completely, and marble the reverse side as well, if desired.
8. Trace a leaf onto a page and cut out — repeat!
9. Glue leaves to your branches, and enjoy!
(Images: Sarah Dobbins)