We spotted this pushpin canvas board at West Elm for $59 (now on sale for $34.99) and thought it was a great idea. We love the octagonal motif of the square boards which can be rearranged into different configurations.
If you like the idea but not the fabric, it wouldn't be hard to re-stretch these or make your own. Here's how we'd do it...
1. Get a set of square cork tiles. The ones shown above are from Environmental Home Center.
2. Choose your fabric. Cotton canvas works well. We picked this Maxi Mondo canvas fabric in blue.
3. Cut your fabric with an extra inch on each side. To cover 12x12 inch tiles, cut 14x14 inches.
4. Stretch the fabric over the cork tile. Fasten in the back with staples.
5. Attach D-rings to the back of the cork board with a glue gun.
For a more comprehensive how-to, visit Martha Stewart for this similar project.
(Re-Edited from 2007-8-21 - CB)