Hang some artwork or add other personal accessories.
Our home had a corner of underutilized space that was begging for a reading nook. On a recent trip to IKEA, we found a discounted Karlstad chair with a deep seat that seemed like the perfect fit, so we brought it home and set to work giving the corner a mini makeover.
What You Need
• An armchair with a wide, deep seat to curl up in
• Side table large enough for books
• Floor lamp, table lamp, or sconce
• Throw pillow and a blanket
• Artwork and/or other accessories
• Karlstad Armchair from IKEA, $250 (comes with a 10-year warranty)
• Prince Aha Stool from Design Within Reach, $110
• Floor Lamp from JCPenney, no longer available
• Framed Drawing from Rothschilds Antiques
• Lush Pillow from Unison Home, on sale for $36
• Ralph Lauren Cable Knit Throw, $100
- Clear out a corner or alcove in your home.
- Add a comfortable armchair with a wide, deep seat.
- Add a side table.
- Plug in a floor lamp or table lamp, or hardwire a sconce. Some people prefer to use adjustable task lighting.
- Add a throw pillow and a blanket to warm up the area.
- Hang some artwork or use other accessories, like a footstool or rug, to personalize the space.
- Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee.
- Grab a book.
- Start reading!
(Images: Sarah Coffey)