This is a trick
that's been done before, with different variations. You might recognize the version at left from Elizabeth and Ben's house tour
. Making an "insta-closet" is a quick fix for old homes that have very little storage space. It's easy if you have a small alcove or doorway that can be curtained off.
This version of how to make a closet curtain is super simple, and requires only a tension rod and a curtain or fabric. Click below for the step-by-step instructions.
• Measure the space to be curtained off.
• Buy a tension rod that fits the dimensions of your space. For example, for a 46" space, buy a standard 36-60" tension rod.
• Buy a readymade curtain or purchase fabric to sew into a custom drape. The best style for this project uses basic casing to hide the curtain rod. Avoid curtains with rings, tabs or frilly headers.
• Hang the curtain on the tension rod and suspend the rod as close to the ceiling or door frame as possible. If any excess fabric pools at the floor, hem it to the desired length.
More from Apartment Therapy...
• Good Questions: Closet Curtains?
• How To: Light Your Closets and Make Your Apartment Glow
• How To: Turn Drop Cloths Into Curtains