Okay, are you ready for the complex instructions?
- Find a jar with a lid.
- Pour in heavy cream and close lid.
- Keep shaking
- Realize your biceps aren't what they used to be.
- Hand off shaking duties to a child.
- When the cream has thickened and become, well, buttery, drain off the remaining buttermilk (around 20 minutes depending on fitness level or number of child helpers).
- Refrigerate to harden a bit.
- Serve to friends and brag!
That's the basic gist of it. There are some variations (adding a pinch of salt for one) and you can find tons of instructions by plugging in "make butter" or "homemade butter" into any web search engine. Or, if you're lazy, you can check out Oishii Eats or Instructables.
(Image via Oishii Eats.) MORE Butter Making from The Kitchn: