We did away with fabric softeners long ago, but even though they're not on our shopping list anymore, that doesn't mean we don't like our clothes to have a fresh hint of smell. Sure our laundry soap applies some, but no one really wants to smell like a fresh rain on a summer meadow. So instead, we make our own scented laundry booster!
What You Need
- 1+ cups Baking Soda
- Essential Oils or Fresh Herbs
- Plastic or Glass Container
- Rubber Spatula
- Metal Sifter (optional)
1. Add Baking Soda To Container: This "recipe" for scented home laundry booster can be made in any amount imaginable. We suggest purchasing a large bag (found at most bulk retailers for just a few dollars) and doing more, instead of less. Baking soda is a fabulous, natural way to boost the cleaning power of your regular load of laundry.
Note: If purchased in large plastic bag form, you may leave baking soda in bag instead of needed a separate container, just make sure to label it so it doesn't get used for baking (though it can be used for other cleaning jobs around the home.
2. Add Smelly Things: Add either a few drops of essential oils (4 drops per cup of baking soda) or herbs and stir to combine. You may either bruise leaves and leave plant stems whole for easier removal, or dice and sift them out in the end (we prefer to chop to release more of the plants oils into the baking soda). We love using fresh basil and tend to stock up on our mix in the summer months when it's growing like weeds outside in the garden or is available at Farmer's Markets.
3. Let Sit For 2 Weeks: Let your mixture mature and allow the baking soda to soak up all that it can from your oils and herbs. Yes, you can use it beforehand, but it won't have the same smell-tastic impact as it will after a few weeks time. If you chopped herbs, sift them through a metal sifter to remove them before using.
4. Add To Wash: Add 1/2 cup per load. Add it with your detergent or to the water before adding clothes if you have a top loading machine.