Can you recognize what's unusual about our desktop above? It's not what's on or around the screen that's notable, rather, it's what is missing: the icons. We often work with tens, if not hundreds of image files at any given moment, which results in a desktop that sometimes looks like a confetti mess. But sometimes we just want the clarity and focus only a clear desktop can provide, especially while writing. Thus, we've become big fans of DeskShade, a very simple app that clears the mess.DeskShade does a handful of interesting things, but the most important option it gives OS X users the ability to hide away all their icons at a press of a button (well, a combo of command+key). We like to use it when we have to litter our desktop with image and file icons for a short time; we normally organize them into to-do folders if the task will run more than a couple hours, but it's inevitable working with large amount of files that eventually your desktop will get cluttered. DeskShade is a great intermediary solution for clutter busting.
The app also offers the following features:
- Tidy up your desktop without having to do any cleanup work
- DeskLock catches sneaky family and co-workers red handed (we have to try this out)
- Build a collection: drag pictures straight from a web page to DeskShade
- Easy desktop variations with the built-in color shifting
- Enrich your experience with cinematic desktop transitions
- Play full screen movies in DeskMovie for unobtrusive viewing
We're daily users now and only wish we could do the same thing with the dishes in the sink. Download DeskShade here.