Floppy disks are a thing of the past, yet many of us seem to still have a few of these archaic storage devices laying around. Since you may have not gotten around to throwing them out yet, why not consider putting your old floppy disks to use as a desktop pen holder?
Inspired by this Instructables project
illustrated by "completegeek" we set out to make our own floppy disk pen holder in similar geeky-chic fashion.
What You Will Need:
How To Make a Floppy Disk Pen Holder:
- (5) 3.5" Floppy disks
- Drill with 5/32 drill bit
- Zip ties
- Floppy disks already have two holes at the bottom. One is always visible and the other easily becomes visible by sliding the window from the unlocked to locked position.
- Along the top there are indents on the back of the floppy disk. For the 4 disks that will be used on the sides, drill holes exactly where the indents are. For the disk that will be used as the bottom of the pen holder, drill holes slightly above each indent.
- Take the 4 floppy disks that will be used as the side walls and zip tie them together on top and bottom through each of the holes. Make sure to attach the top holes to the top holes and the bottom holes to the other bottom holes. However, it does not matter which side faces out, this is completely up to you.
- Make sure to pull all of the zip ties tight and to cut off the loose ends using your scissors.
- Now attach the last floppy disk to the bottom of the others using zip ties. It is best to make sure the loose end is on the inside so when they are cut off they do not scratch your desk.
- Once all ends are attached tighten the bottom zip ties and remove the slack.
Viola! You're done and now have your very own floppy disk pen holder. Also be sure to check out other fun floppy disk accessories