Last week I wrote about how to make your own quilting hoop jewelry storage. So that all bases are covered, today I am sharing another DIY jewelry storage idea perfect for hoop earrings, sunglasses, rings, and bracelets: a vertical jewelry box that you can mount on the wall. Supplies Needed:
1. Set of 4 wooden nesting boxes- $6 for the set pictured below at Michael's
2. Spray paint in the color of your choice- $4
3. Hot glue gun with glue: $10
4. 5/8" cup hooks- $4 for 100 from the hardware store.
In addition to the set of nesting boxes, I added another 3-compartment box I had at the house that was originally used to hold flower vases.
1. Screw in hooks (which are available in silver or gold) as needed in various boxes.
2. Arrange your boxes in a way that looks nice and fits all of your jewelry. Do this on a flat surface, like the kitchen table, so you get a sense of the depth and the functionality of each piece. Some boxes are better utilized vertically or horizontally, depending on what you have to store.
3. One by one, hot glue boxes together, checking that you are adding them in the correct place and they remain flush on the backside in order to hang on the wall.
4. Spray paint or stain in the color of your choice.
5. Drill 2-3 pilot holes on left, right, and bottom of back sides to distribute weight for hanging. Be sure your pilot hole is large enough to fit your screws through.
6. Hang jewelry box with screws and wall anchors using the pilot holes you drilled, and add your jewelry!
What I love about this is that as your jewelry collection grows over time, so can your vertical jewelry box. And everything is out on display which means you'll wear it more often because you'll remember you have it!
(Images: Tanya Lacourse)