My enthusiasm for measuring things is something of a joke around my house. At any moment I might jump up, grab my tape measure, and start measuring walls, windows, furniture, trim, etc. You name it, and I've probably measured it several times over.
Sometimes I am simply overwhelmed by the desire to know if the distance between the top corners of a doorway matches the distance between the bottom corners, and for heaven's sake do not wonder aloud about the size or dimension of an object in my presence, I will pull a tape measure out of my purse and start taking notes. My enthusiasm might be a little silly (Especially when I forget that the tape measure is clipped to my waistband and walk around with it all day!), but good, precise measuring can come in handy around the house.
Window coverings in particular require taking a variety of measurements to ensure proper coverage and fit, and as they tend to be among the longest-term commitments in a room it's worth doing it properly from the start.
Here's some advice gathered from the experts on measuring for window coverings:
- How to measure for curtains and rods.
- Be sure to check out this Quick & Affordable Home Makeover that shows the dramatic difference made with curtain rod placement before committing to curtain length.
- To give a little extra DIY touch to new curtains how about Pinch-Pleating an Ikea Curtain or adding one of these DIY Curtain Tie Backs.
- How to measure for roman shades, both inside and outside mount.
- Measuring windows for roller blinds.
- This is a less common window covering, but beautiful when you see it. How to measure windows for plantation shutters.
- How to measure windows for inside and outside mount blinds.
- How to measure for vertical blinds.
- A tutorial on how to Trim Wood Window Blinds at home.
- Here's some great advice on how to Clean Your Blinds.
Check out our roundup of sources for Inexpensive Blinds, Shades and Curtains, then get that measuring started!