Like Grace, we also have a propensity for pillows.
But unlike our artistically superior colleague, we're color-challenged and have problems matching all the irresistible patterns that we've come home with. Over the years, we've ended up with a hodgepodge of cute, but unmatched pillows...
We took matters into our own hands and asked a few designer friends for their tips on matching pillow patterns:
• Consider scale. Choosing a large, medium and small pattern can work if they share a similar palette.
• Don't feel compelled to match colors perfectly. Make sure all of your patterns have at least one color that is similar, even if it is a background or neutral.
• Add textured fabrics for more interest
• If you use multiple patterns, make sure there's a place for the eye to rest. It could be as easy as throwing in one solid pillow into the mix or placing your pillows on a neutral sofa. This will help separate and highlight the patterns.
• Don't be afraid to mix a floral motif, with a bold graphic pattern.
• Don't mix more than three different patterns, and try to keep the pillows similar in size.