My first thought was to make some covered buttons and pull those through the cushions to give a modern, symmetric button tufting look. That is definitely an option. After perusing the Mitchell Gold catalogue, I opted for mock tufting made by using upholstery twine to make mock tufts with symmetrical stitches. It's so easy!!!
And as always, Shelly does make it seem totally do-able. The list of necessary tools and materials is short, the skill level is within reach and the end results look great.
1. Gather materials.
2. Fluff & distribute cushions.
3. Measure & mark tuft placement.
4. Thread long needle with upholstery twine.
5. Insert and pull twine through to back of cushion.
6. Take a small diagonal stitch. (must be diagonal to distribute the pull on fabric weave)
7. Pull twine snug to desired tuft depth and tie a knot.
8. Snip off excess twine.
Check out the full step-by-step tutorial here.