It almost seems silly to write out instructions for this, but here we go:
- Open Word and type out the alphabet. (We used all caps, but try lowercase or a combination i.e. "Aa")
- Choose a font that appeals to you. If you only have the basics, there are lots of places to download free fonts. Our favorite is dafont.com
- Fiddle with the margins, font size and justification until you get the rows spaced how you like them. (You're never going to get them laid out perfectly using Word so this is not a project for perfectionists.)
- Optional: add a simple image like our typewriter from your clip art or from the web.
- Print (if you have a color printer and aren't out of ink like we were, all the better)
- Slap into a frame and hang.
- Voila! (or, as our friend says, Viola!)
In case you're curious, the fonts we used (top to bottom) are: American Typewriter, Rosewood and Aubrey. If you make your own, we'd love to see - upload it to Flickr and tag it with "Ohdeedoh."
(Dimly lit photos by Carrie McBride)