At a recent gathering, I was struck by the inviting elegance of the well-groomed powder room. With simple but thoughtful details, it easily rivaled the lavish glamorous dining room. I tend to focus on the obvious, fun party details: food, music, flowers; but learning from that little gem, I'll be adding some new things to my next party-prep routine.
A full bathroom cleaning should always be in order when we're welcoming guests into our homes, but these are the little details I tend to forget about until the last minute...
• Add a small simple bouquet to the sink or on a window ledge. Flowers always add a "cared for" vibe to any room.
• Use a natural, mild scented reed diffuser or soy candle. It will put your guests at ease. Just be sure that you don't use anything overpowering as many people are sensitive to scents. Fragrant blooms like paperwhites will also so the trick.
• Make extra toilet paper accessible. You don't want any embarrassed guests rummaging through the cabinets or seeking you out mid-party for a TP re-fill.
• As with the toilet paper, put out extra hand towels for your guests. It's liking that if you have just one, it will become damp and utterly un-elegant during the course of the evening.
• Tidy up! While you generally expect your guests not to be rummaging through your medicine cabinet, it's always best to over prepare. Give it a nice cleaning and place necessities like aspirin and first aid supplies visible and accessible.
What would you add to the pre-party bathroom prep list?
(Images: 1: Phoebe Howard, 2: Leah Moss, 3: real simple, 4: via the lettered cottage, 5: ReadyMade via AT: Chicago)