We found this tutorial on Threads Magazine. It's in keeping with the rain we've had in LA (with more expected). Personalize the umbrella you carry with you or use this same technique on the ones that shade your patio in the summer. Starting with your old umbrella, use the old fabric to make a pattern:
- Remove the old fabric from the frame and take it apart (the fabric is often seamed).
- Iron the fabric and straighten the edges (the fabric may have ruffled from use)
- Trace the pattern onto pattern paper or muslin fabric (good if you're planning to do a couple for gifts).
- Choose your fabric and cut it out, using the pattern you just made. Pick a waterproofed fabric like Sunbrella, try a nylon in a unique colour or use Scotchguard to make a silk or cotton water-resistant.
- Hem the pieces.
- Make a tie from the same fabric or try something else in a contrasting colour or print.
- Connect the pieces
- Secure the fabric over the frame
- Attach the fabric to the umbrella's tips
- Press the fabric and stretch the tips over the frame
For the full tutorial, click here