Starting with your old umbrella, use the old fabric to make a pattern:
- Remove the old fabric from the frame and take it apart (the fabric is often seamed).
- Iron the fabric and straighten the edges (the fabric may have ruffled from use)
- Trace the pattern onto pattern paper or muslin fabric (good if you're planning to do a couple for gifts).
- Choose your fabric and cut it out, using the pattern you just made. Pick a waterproofed fabric like Sunbrella, try a nylon in a unique colour or use Scotchguard to make a silk or cotton water-resistant.
- Hem the pieces.
- Make a tie from the same fabric or try something else in a contrasting colour or print.
- Connect the pieces
- Secure the fabric over the frame
- Attach the fabric to the umbrella's tips
- Press the fabric and stretch the tips over the frame
For the full tutorial, click here
ATVideo of the Day